This article explains how to setup group voicemail on a Grandstream UCM6xxx series IP/PBX to overcome the current limitations of the shared voicemail feature. The built in group voicemail feature supported in the current and previous firmware releases as of writing (18.104.22.168) places a copy of the voicemail message into each members personal voicemail inbox which is not suitable for most customers who wish to track the checking and deleting of shared voicemail messages.
- Create an extension which will be a dedicated voicemail extension under Extensions/Trunk > Extensions. Give it internal permissions and enable voicemail for this extension:
- Setup an MPK/VPK with type voicemail to monitor extension 1000's mailbox on all phones that will be monitor this shared voicemail:
Example manually configuring the phone:
Note: Be sure to click 'Save VPK' if the option is there after editing the VPK.
Example using Auto-provisioning via Zero Config:
- Next we will configure the 'Voice Mail Access Number' so that when the user presses the shared voicemail MPK/VPK it will go straight to the shared mailbox. This must be set to '*981000' where '*98' is the mail centre and '1000' is the extension number of the shared mailbox.
Note: If you wish to have both a personal voicemail and monitor a shared voicemail on a single phone, you will need to set the 'Voice Mail Access Number' to '*98' which will then prompt you for the mailbox number when pressing either the standard voicemail key or the shared voicemail MPK/VPK (in this case John would enter '1000' to access the shared mailbox or '1001' to access his own mailbox).
If you are provisioning via zero config you will need to modify each device config by going to Edit Device > Advanced Settings > Modify Custom Settings:
- Next we need to ensure where ever in the call flow you want to go to the shared voicemail that you send it to Voicemail > Extension 1000. Here is an example of an inbound route that goes to an IVR during office hours and voicemail outside of office hours or during holidays:
- The final step is to record our voicemail prompts. This can be done from any phone by going to check the shared mailbox and pressing '0' for mailbox options.
If you do not want to enter your voicemail password each time the button is pressed you can append a comma followed by the voicemail password in the 'Voice Mail Access Number' field.
Phone (Left): Shared Voicemail on Line 2, Personal Voicemail - Message Waiting (Top Right Indicator)
Phone (Right): Shared Voicemail on Line 2, Personal Voicemail - No Message Waiting/Personal Voicemail not configured (Top Right Indicator)
If you like this article please feel free to rate it :-)